Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mika Hit Hollywood! (And So Did We!)

So last Friday, I threw out a trivia question. About shoes.



Q: Who is the only man for whom Christian Louboutin has designed a custom line of shoes?


The ANSWER, almost a week later:



MIKA!


Apparently, he and Christian Louboutin are pretty tight. So tight, the master himself designed and handcrafted a line of shoes just for Mika, including the blue studded ones above and a pair of silver high tops, and of course Mika loves them. Mika and I have that in common. I don't think I (or any woman, for that matter) have seen a pair of shoes by Christian Louboutin I didn't like. 

You know what else Mika and I have in common? We were both at the Hollywood Palladium last week!! 


If you are unfamiliar with Mika, check out my right hand column. I've posted a clip of "Grace Kelly," one of my favorite Mika songs, and one of his most well-known.  Give it a listen while you scroll through the day's posts.





And okay. I PAID forty-some dollars to be there, and he EARNED thousands of dollars. But still. I saw Mika on the North American leg of his "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" tour!!



And of course I wasn't alone -- I went with Bridget, my roommate Hye Young, and our friend Taylor. 



The decision to wear the crazy stuff was made while I was in my Friday afternoon American Lit class (I really don't think I have anything neon anyway...). Hye Young literally made a drive-by pick-up by my building, and I jumped in the car and we were off!



We met Fletcher there. He may have been the only straight man there. He doesn't know that yet though. Poor Fletch. Just wait.

Speaking of waiting...



We got there super early to get a good number and get right up to the front of the stage when the show started. So we had a while to chill...






..which would've gotten REALLY boring.
  Except we were in Hollywood. 
On Sunset Blvd. 




So somehow we managed to pass the time.
And then the SHOW STARTED. 





We got RIGHT UP TO THE FRONT. We were super psyched. Except maybe Fletcher. He just realized he was the only straight male in the building, and he felt duped.
  (We're sorry, Fletcher. But we really needed another driver...Um, is 'thank you' enough for subjecting you to hours of waiting, and then hours of screaming girls and gay men?)

But then MIKA TOOK THE STAGE.





Did I mention we were WAY CLOSE?? 




Well, we were. And we only got CLOSER!



Hye Young ended up getting some pretty good shots, too. 




Mika. He's kind of a superstar. 




At least it's totally that kind of vibe, you know? And he's got real talent. Something like five octave range or whatever, and classically trained in opera before he started singing things he wrote himself. 




It was kind of an amazing show.
And kind of an amazing day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm lovin' your blog, Katie! And I may be the newest Mika fan. I want to go back to college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad!! And Mika's great! I'm not as fanatical as a lot of his American fans, but I love his stuff!! It's got pretty broad appeal actually, check some of his other stuff out on iTunes!

    P.S. You should totally go back to college. It would be "RESEARCH" right? To advance your career? Sounds totally reasonable to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your concert, I had never heard of the preformer. But you have to remember that Elvis Presley was my idol in high school. Sounds like you really had a fun day and that is what life is about. Life gives us some difficult days and then throws in a fun one every once in awhile if we are lucky. love nana

    ReplyDelete