Thursday, October 1, 2009

All Suited Up

Yesterday, I bought my first suit. Actually, my parents bought it (thanks, Mom and Dad!) but the point is, it's hanging in my closet.

The lovely and fabulous Christine took me to the Grove on Wednesday afternoon, and am extraordinarily grateful.


For those of you who have never been to the Grove (my condolences) it's well-planned, beautiful, and basically the Disneyland of retail. I love it.

It also has a fantastic Banana Republic location, where I forced myself past all the soft, slouchy sweaters and preppy cardigans I didn't need (but loved anyway) to find the suiting. 

Before I go on, you should know that suits are, for some reason, one of those Big Things in my mind. One of those Grown-up Things. 

I think it's because I've watched my Mom - high-powered, empowered woman that she is - stride off to work in those lovely, well-tailored suits of hers, and somewhere along the line I got it in my head that, once a girl has one of those, she REALLY must be a "Grown-Up."

So procuring one for myself actually seemed somewhat terrifying. 

Until I found this. This perfect, professional blazer gave me hope that I might not hate a suit after all...


...then I found these crisp, somehow effeminate trousers...


...this exquisite, tiered-ruffle top in "lotus lilac"...


...and THIS. This stunning, high-waisted skirt that's so much more flattering to my body than I deserve. 

Paired it with these suede, round-toed black pumps. They're cute, classy, and business-like all at once. 
And it all comes together to form this smooth, professional, perfect charcoal suit. Equally fabulous and un-frumpy in the pants-variety...

Or with the skirt. Just imagine it with the "lotus lilac" top, if you please. It makes quite the combination. 


Sigh. I am unexpectedly but utterly in awe of my new suit.

Many thanks again to my Mom and Dad for the purchase of the loveliness now hanging in my closet (in a garment bag, no worries!) and Christine for taking the time out of her day to help me get "all suited up"!

Stay tuned to see what happens when I actually WEAR it...

No comments:

Post a Comment