Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Midterms. And MISSION: MOBY DICK.

As an English major, I live in a constant "Oh-my-Shakespeare, I have two papers due next week!" kind of thrilling panic. Plus, you know, midterms for my other two classes. So a girl's gotta be pretty productive.

Today, for instance:

Woke up early to review the study guide I made for my Catholicism in the US class just ONE LAST TIME before the midterm. Coffee, apartment brewed. Took midterm. Kicked midterm's ass. (This I didn't love so much. It was after all a midterm).

BUT THEN I went to American Literature, where a strange guy I had never seen before came in and sat down in front of me. He was wearing a bright red Toys-R-Us button-up staff shirt at least three inches to short in the length. It was gross and weird and disturbing, and Kenton and I wondered why he just didn't go back to Toys-R-Us and let us block that image out of our retinas forever and ever.

We also talked about Moby Dick which, by the way is a really long book, just in case you were wondering. 'Cause I mean, do any of you actually know anyone who has read Melville's Moby Dick?? NO ONE reads that book. I don't think anyone in my CLASS is reading the whole thing, and it's assigned. But you know what??

I AM GOING TO READ MOBY DICK. ALL OF IT, BABY!! Maybe I'll do a little CollegeKate's Book Club, for the benefit of culture and the world. I mean, how do any of you feel complete without having read Melville's most noted achievement?

Okay. It's decided. I'm reading ALL OF MOBY DICK and then posting a fun little synopsis of it for you on Friday (it's long, even Friday's kind of ambitious, but get excited!!).

In between, to give us a rest from all this academic stuff, I'll think of something significantly more shallow to discuss for tomorrow. I'm also thinking I might need to organize this blog thing better, because I totally started this post planning to write about my hyper-productive and academic schedule today, with this being my first actual break while I scarf down a late dinner. Or my (surprise!) sort-of position in the College Republicans. But what can I say? Moby Dick just has that effect on people...

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with that. I'll read your synopsis happily.

    Meanwhile, I'm reading Mrs. Dalloway.

    Moby Dick--by the way--isn't in my anthology....so I'll probably have to read it on public domain.

    By the way, I'm pretty sure Toys-R-Us is a crack addict. He has extremely darty eyes.

    Look forward to tomorrow.

    -Your professional stalker/classmate who likes food

    ReplyDelete
  2. legit. LOL'd at the Toy-R-Us part. and you know i dont use lol that often. its sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's SOMETHING wrong with Toys R Us FOR SURE. But he's not the only one in that class that's a little off (you KNOW who I mean!!). Such a weird mix of people in there...but I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow!! I want to read your short story!! Oh, and the food thing? It matters. That's how you tell the good stalkers/stalkees from the bad ones...

    ReplyDelete
  4. and LOL IS sacred. Only say it when you TRULY are LOL'in. I'm glad you really were. Some people just don't appreciate it's power, and ruin it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And girl. LOVIN the picture! I actually did LOL when I scrolled up and saw that loveliness!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make me want to go out and buy Moby Dick. I have to admit I have read parts of the book but really can't recall reading the whole book but you have to remember I am 70 love Nana

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did not know you had a sort of position with the College Republicans, I think that is great. What is the sort of position called.
    Love you Nana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I don't recommend BUYING Moby Dick. A lot of people don't realize that almost ALL of the public domain classics (anything reasonably old) are available for FREE and easily accessed online!

    I didn't buy Moby Dick. I read it online, from my laptop, blackberry, or iPod touch at my leisure.

    All you need to do is go to Google and plug in the title of the book you're looking for plus a phrase like "full text" and a bunch of viable links should pop up. Gutenberg.org has a GREAT collection that you can download to your computer to read offline or print out!

    It's an extremely economical way to rediscover old favorites or find new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh and I PROMISE PROMISE more on the College Republicans soon!! There's something going down this week, and it's going to be kind of a big deal. Hopefully. Wait and see!!!

    ReplyDelete