I tend to have some pretty dramatic ups and downs. I'm just that kind of person. The latter half of today? It was a down. With all the reshuffling that's been going on in this whole college process, I've had to re-evaluate a lot of the things I imagined for myself.
For instance, I've changed my major from Accounting to English - a change I'm really excited about, but a change nonetheless. With Accounting, I feel like my post-college careerpath was pretty well established; with English it's less so, but the open-endedness leaves more room for growth, I think, though it gives me a lot to think about as far as future goals.
Another thing that's been weighing on me is the whole social scene. How much is too much, for someone who is switching majors and reprioritizing and has an otherwise busy academic life? I've had to rethink some of the social things in which I once considered participating, which is harder than it sounds. My close friend B has recently been drawn pretty deep into her sorority, which has left me feeling a little out of her life, as Greek conflicts keep popping up in the way of our plans.
So with all this rethinking, changing of mindsets, and - hardest of all - the prospect of losing such a close friend, there were times today when things looked a little bleak (sitting alone in this apartment while I contemplated this did not help).
Then, just as I was getting ready to tuck in early and look forward to a brighter tomorrow, I got a phone call. It was B. She got out of her sorority rush meeting early, and wanted to hang out, which was EXACTLY what I needed.
We sat around with a bag of microwave kettle corn, and talked about everything on the planet. And while she's a little bummed I won't be joining her sorority this fall, I know that (Greek or not!) it won't be more than a couple of days until we're back on my futon with a bag of microwave kettle korn.
Tomorrow? Two new classes and lunch with Nana and Papa.
Here's to tomorrow on the upside.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I didn't realize that I did not comment on this blog. Wishing you a fun semester with lots of new experiences.
ReplyDeletelove nana